Frequently Asked Questions
Wastebuster is an online multimedia environmental education programme designed to support teachers to creatively explore waste in the curriculum, and help children to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate progress towards creating sustainable schools, homes and communities.
Wastebuster also offers schools an opportunity to exchange unwanted materials for resources and funding through a range of Recycling Rewards schemes.
See our Wastebuster Membership pages for details.
Membership benefits include;
- Guidance and support for reducing waste in school
- Exciting cross-curricular KS2 and KS1 lessons plans and activities on waste and recycling
- Wastebuster films on a wide range of waste and recycling topics
- Database containing 100’s of teacher-rated education resources on a wide range of environmental subjects
- Interactive assemblies to promote waste reduction and recycling
- Kids club for eco-teams bursting with learning tools, seasonal activities and games
- Helpful green news and information on eco-funds and opportunities
- Case study database for inspiration
- Case study tool (eco-team diary) to evidence your work
- Downloadable campaign toolkits full of handy recycling reminder posters and reward stickers
- Handy step-by-step guides for gaining all levels of Eco-Schools award
- School Council and Eco-Team activities
- School database of local keen, green schools to share ideas and best practice
- Workshops (for schools in participating local authorities)
- Recycling Reward schemes to raise funds for your school
Full details can be found on our membership pages.
Wastebuster is designed to support teachers working towards all levels of Eco-Schools accreditation with child-led waste reduction activities, including eco-reviews, waste auditing and campaign tools, supporting resources and step-by-step guides.
Schools are also able to demonstrate actual waste reduction tonnage easily when participating in Wastebuster Recycling Reward collection schemes. See our Wastebuster working with Eco-Schools pages for details.
Wastebuster has a wide range of cross-curricular lesson plans and activities. See our Curriculum guide pages for details.
Wastebuster is a fully integrated school waste education and waste reduction programme. The programme is designed to support schools to engage the whole school community in waste reduction through creative exploration of waste in the curriculum and practical action across campus. See our Wastebusting in school pages for details.
Wastebuster offers a local support service including workshops, teacher training, events and competitions, local news and information on waste and recycling services and opportunities for schools. To find out if this service is available to your school, a list of local authorities we are currently working with can be found in the Join Us pages.
You can also contact your local authority waste officer to recommend your authority work with us.
Wastebuster offer cross-curricular teaching resources covering a wide range of topics from PSHE and Citizenship to Science and Mathematics. Find more details in our Curriculum Guide.
Wastebuster specialise in waste - residual waste, energy waste, water waste and carbon reduction and cover a wide range of waste related topics such as composting and all types of material recycling. Find more details in the Teachers Bin.
Wastebuster links with the Eco-Schools topic of Waste, Energy, Travel and Transport. Find more details in our Eco-Schools pages.
Wastebuster have a selection of downloadable posters (and black templates), signage and reward stickers in our Posters & Signage pages to promote and reward waste minimisation and recycling in participating schools.
Schools registered to our local authority and Recycling Reward programmes, will receive hard copy packs.
Schools registered to our local authority and Recycling Reward programmes, will receive hard copy campaign packs. Posters, signage and reward stickers can be downloaded from the Posters & Signage pages.
Can community groups e.g. scouts, guides or community sports clubs register for Wastebuster and Recycling Rewards membership?
You can use Wastebuster educate and inspire your members to reduce waste and recycle or to raise funds by recycling through Wastebuster Recycling Reward schemes.
Some ideas for action
- Show the Wastebuster ‘15 Minutes to Save the Earth’ film and play the recycling relay to explain why waste reduction and recycling is important and to get everybody excited about taking part.
- Run a recycling campaign by placing the Wastebuster posters in prominent places around your community centre.
- Document any wastebusting activity (e.g. activities diary with photographs) on your Wastebuster case study page and link to it from your website to show everybody that you take care for the environment seriously.
- Download the Wastebuster eco-code or write your own
- Print Wastebuster notices and place them around your community centre
Yes. Wastebuster school liaison officers manage all questions related to the delivery of the programme: email firstname.lastname@example.org for any support, advice or guidance.
Email email@example.com for any support, advice or guidance.
Wastebuster membership is free for schools participating in Wastebuster Recycling Rewards programme (available to all schools in U.K mainland). Go to Wastebuster Recycling Rewards pages for more information.
Wastebuster membership is free for schools in participating local authorities. To see if you are in a participating local authority check our Membership pages.
Wastebuster membership is £150.00 p.a. for schools that are not participating in any of the above programmes.
Go to the Registration page - select whether you would like Wastebuster school or parent/ family membership you would like. In the registration form, select the type of membership you require (Sport into Schools/ WEEE recycling rewards/ standard) from the drop down menu.
Please note. If you are in a participating local authority, you will be sent you login details. If you would like to register for the Science into Schools programme, you must go to www.jointhepod.org.
Go to the Login page, select the 'Password Reminder' button and follow the on screen instructions.
Recycling Rewards membership - If the programme you are participating in is to be continued, you will receive a renewal option email 2 weeks before your renewal date. If you would like to continue to participate in the programme, simply book a collection BEFORE your renewal date and your membership will be automatically renewed for another 12 months.
Local authority membership - You will be notified if Wastebuster is still available to your school for an additional year.
Standard membership - You will receive a membership renewal email 1 month before your renewal date. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading 'Membership Renewal' and we will send through your membership fee invoice and on receipt of payment, your account will be renewed for an additional 12 months.
Simply email Wastebuster at email@example.com with your contact details and reason for cancellation and we will cease your access to the Wastebuster website and collections immediately.
Contact Wastebuster for details firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)1483 893550.
Please contact the Wastebuster team or request the Wastebuster Service Brochure for more details: email@example.com.
You may contact Wastebuster through our contact page or directly:
Tel: 01483 893 550